Log in

No account? Create an account
Baitcon part 2: pulling a fire out of a wet forest . . . - Doug Ayen's Blacksmithing Blog [entries|archive|friends|userinfo]
Doug Ayen

[ userinfo | livejournal userinfo ]
[ archive | journal archive ]

Baitcon part 2: pulling a fire out of a wet forest . . . [Jul. 6th, 2009|08:33 pm]
Doug Ayen
One reason I brought the aforementioned backpack fire extinguisher (the hand-pumped water filled kind) along was that I had volunteered to be the resident fire marshal type for the duration.

Now, we were promised dry firewood for the event -- I even got a verbal "I'll bring some up next trip" a few times before a load made its way up on Sunday. So, from Friday noonish until mid-day Sunday, I got to start and keep lit a fire in the main tent using wood that mostly was both green and wet. It can be done -- always keep the next log drying out, split it if you can, remove damp bark, keep it turning in the fire, etc. Many thanks go out to Joe and others who helped split wood, carry it around, and generally helped out pyrolytically.

We were also promised a bonfire each night. On Friday, we were about to start in on that when we discovered the fire pit was a peat bog surrounding a puddle -- literally. Someone had been filling in muddy areas with bales of peat, which is basically a sponge. So we bailed on the fire for that night, as we had no dry wood, and nowhere to burn it even if we did.

Saturday, JB (iirc) went out and picked up a few bales of hay. I got a couple of those spread around the campfire swamp, which improved conditions immensely.

That night, we got the promised bonfire, but only enough wood for a couple of hours. It was enough to keep a subdued, hissing fire going, so no real complaints there. I bailed at around 3amish, making sure a Responsible Adult (thanks, Rich) would make sure the fire was out.

Sunday's bonfire happened on schedule, again with only the dry wood for a couple of hours. It was a fun night hanging out around the fire and talking with friends. The fire circle broke up at about 3:30, and I put out the fire using the fire pump. I love that thing. One big squirtgun with a backpack full of ammo, and the only person still around was JB, who already gets soaked enough at Baitcon.

Monday evening, the fire needed a relight. I gave it my best, but after a weekend of pulling fire out of my ass, I had nothing left. Someone got it started using an emergency cache of rubbing alcohol and, if memory serves, quite a large flamethrower.

Yes, I was pretty tired about then, why do you ask?

[User Picture]From: perspicuity
2009-07-07 12:55 am (UTC)
it never gets old when people KEEP asking me, after all these years, why i have that pile of axes... ESPECIALLY the orange goodness of the splitting axes... even at events whose NAME has fire in them ;) oiy :>

axes and hammocks. i'm that guy.

(Reply) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: cz_unit
2009-07-07 03:23 am (UTC)

Thank you for the fire and conversation Friday night. It was good to just kick back, chat, and eat other people's S'mores all evening.

You did a great job. Thank you.

(Reply) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: blackanvil
2009-07-07 07:00 pm (UTC)
You're welcome. It was great seeing you as well.

(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)