|further pizza cutter work
||[Nov. 4th, 2004|11:51 am]
Leg's finally healed up, spent some time in the workshop last night, mostly cleaning up, but also working on the pizza cutter.|
The bearing I'll be using has an OD of .500", as near to half-inch as I can measure. Now, I have a number of half-inch reamers, but I want an interference fit. I tested a couple of the more likely reamers on some scrap to see if maybe they had worn down enough over the years to be useful as a slightly undersize reamer, but no luck. Fortunately, I have a steady hand, diamond laps, and lots of practice honing edges, so I spent about an hour removing just a bit of metal off the flutes of on of the reamers. A test showed that it now finishes a hole to the appropriate size, just a tad under .5", about .495".
I also started working on my handle design. I like going a bit on the weird side, so I grabbed some modeling clay, and worked it until I had what felt like a comfortable grip. Viola, I now have a good model of how to shape the handle in wood, with the upside that due to the hand's contours and suchlike it has a nice organic look to it. With this as a model, I'm free to experement with shapes and textures to match the burl. Since I baked the clay, it's also fairly stable, and carvable if I want to try some different shapes.
In other news, I turned 37 today.