|Polishing stations are (almost) done
||[May. 10th, 2005|03:37 pm]
Did all the brute work last night to get the 10 polishing stations made up last night. I had thought I was done as I stumbled back up to the house, only to realize I'd forgotten the last step, but that will only take half an hour or so tonight.|
These stations are based off of the Gaijin's Guide system. It's a 12" 2"x4" as the base. On that, I've attached a 4" x 6" piece of plywood I flattened and smoothed with my disk sander. This gives a flat, hard platform to work on.
To hold the abrasive in place (I find it hard to call a structured abrasive on a polymer fabric backing "sandpaper") the system uses tapered peg and block that jams against the sanding platform. For the workshop stations, I used another piece of the plywood as the block, and pieces of bamboo for the pegs. I chose the bamboo as the pieces I had kicking around the workshop had a fairly good taper to them already, and I was able to get the 10 pegs I needed to be fairly consistently sized (only ended up needed 2 sizes of hole, less than a 32nd apart in size). That bamboo is as tough as nails didn't hurt. Driving the peg through the holes in the block and the base will put enough pressure between the block and the platform to hold it securely.
The other end of the abrasive is held in place by a wedge and slot in the base. This is the part I forgot to finish last night. It's a simple enough setup, just a triangular hole and a bit of wood shim as a wedge. I'm using the same method on the station I use, although I must admit to having made my wedge out of purpleheart instead of whatever these shims are made of.
This setup is good not only for polishing japanese stuff, but I've taken to using it as a variant of the "scary sharp" sharpening system. With abrasives up to 3000 grit, I can get a very nice edge with this setup.
And now I'm that much closer to being ready for the workshop.