||[Mar. 25th, 2004|02:31 am]
got up this mornig (well, before noon, anyway) and set out to get stuff done.
And I did so.
Went out and got a vacuum gauge for the vacuum chamber, installed it and tested -- i'm pulling about 27" of vacuum (Hg). that's respectable enough for now.
Next, I set up the bandsaw for resawing and cut the wood for handles/sheathes into slabs, packed it all into the vacuum chamber, and put on the vacuum. I still have a slow leak somewhere, so I'm leaving the vacuum on overnight--it's a venturi setup running off the compressor, so every 15 minutes or so I can hear the compressor kicking on.
Tomorrow I'll start in on making the tsuba, and will put the wood into the stabilization solution. I think I'll try some positive pressure this time as well -- can't hurt.
I also started in on fixing up a jointer I bought last year. Looks like I may need to buy a more powerful/faster motor, but we'll see. No real rush on getting this working, I have hand planes that will do the job if it comes to that.
Overall, a busy day. If I can keep this up, this should be a productive week.