||[Feb. 20th, 2004|09:08 am]
I decided to take a break from knives last night and fired up the old forge for some hammer-work. A local SCA event on Saturday has a "roses in winter" Arts and Sciences display, so I decided to try my hand at turning out some iron roses. |
I looked over at anvilfire.com, and found a simple-enough looking method at http://www.anvilfire.com/iForge/ I had a bit of of 1/4" and 3/8" stock on hand, so I was fine on materials, and the forge had enough propane for the job. Some heavy hammering, bending, and scrolling later I had a couple of roses in hand. They even look halfway decent, much to my surprise. I thought about sand-blasting them a bit to bring out some highlights and to relieve the dark grey color of the steel, but was ultimately too lame to get around to it.
And that's how I spent my evening.