||[Jun. 21st, 2003|03:06 pm]
well, I had hoped to have the partizan finished by today, unfortunately, I bunged up my left foot, so had to take a few days off from the workshop.
I have managed to get it mostly done, though. I gave up on the first prototype, too many bad forge welds. I was able to get a 1/2" thick by 4" wide by about 2' foot long piece of 5160 out of a spring shop cheaply and quickly, so this didn't cause much delay. On Monday, I forged out the width for the middle bit out to 6", and forged the tang end down to 1/2" x 1/2" x 6". this took a while, working 1/2" material is hard even with a power hammer. To finish the evening I put the piece through an annealing cyclel
Tuesday, I was too tired after work to do anything.
Wednesday I drew out my design in soapstone and cut it out with the plasma torch. A single pass combined with some grinding was enough to cut through even the 1/2" stuff (the torch is rated at 3/8", but if you take it slow and don't mind having to do some grinding it works on 1/2".) I finished grinding to shape and was all set to finish up Thursday. Then I stubbed my left big toe and spend a lot of time in pain.
Despite that, I did spend some time in the workshop on Thursday and got the profiling finshed as well as roughing in the bevels. All that was left for Friday was the final polishing and heattreatment.
Unfortunately, the work done on Thursday was a mistake. When I woke up on Friday morning, I could barely walk. Friday evening was spend staring at the partizan and sucking down Alieve hoping the pain would go away.
If I could have spent just another couple of hours working on this, if only one of several things hadn't gone wrong, I could have finished this for today. This really pisses me off. The toe is feeling better now, but I plan on giving it a couple of days of serious rest to heal.