||[May. 13th, 2003|12:10 am]
Well, it's been a few days since my last update. When I was working on the celtic sword, I managed to mung up my right elbow again. Probably from trying to do too much in one day. Sigh.|
today I did a few things -- got some belts in, got in the steel I've needed for a tanto, so I did the profiling and did some more work on the viking sword. Both edge bevels are in now, and I'm done with the tang. Just need to bevel and shape the point and it's time to polish. I should be done with it in the next few days, I hope.
I also finished assembly of the smelter, last one didn't meet my standards so I tore it apart and rebuilt. Assuming this one doesn't fall apart during the test firing, I should be able to do a smelting run sometime in the next few days.
Delivered the sickle to the client, she loved it. Got to work on casting, though -- I hate even little defects like air bubbles and so forth. With practice, and the right technique, though, I think I can meet my standards.
Finished the wax carvings for the viking sword fittings as well -- I'm going to try lost wax. Bought a can of spam and some canned asparagus to use as casting flasks for these -- I hope this works. If not, oh well, I can forge some out of iron, it's period and will look nice.
Job search goes on, got about a dozen applications out in the last couple of days. I hope this is a sign that the job market is opening up, as I don't think I'm ready to go pro on the knifemaking yet. Maybe next time I'm laid off. :)