?

Log in

No account? Create an account
bee update - Doug Ayen's Blacksmithing Blog [entries|archive|friends|userinfo]
Doug Ayen

[ userinfo | livejournal userinfo ]
[ archive | journal archive ]

bee update [May. 17th, 2011|08:42 pm]
Doug Ayen
So, as per the manuals I've read, I've removed the now-empty queen cage, inserted the remaining frames into the hives, and moved the remnants of the sugar syrup off to a corner of the apiary. A quick walk around the property shows plenty of flowering plants (two types of raspberry, four kinds of blackberry, some sort of wild daisy, honeysuckle, wild rose, lilac, and whatever that pretty reddish heart shaped flower is), with more on the way, so they should be good in that regard. I'll keep feeding them for a while, just to make sure they have something to eat.

The bees are definitely getting more aggressive, but so far have not stung me. It's still disconcerting when one decides my face is a flower, though, and lands on my nose, or just buzzes around my hair looking for pollen. I suppose I'll get used to it eventually.

A check of the inside of the hives shows comb being drawn out, and what look like brood cells -- hopefully inhabited. I didn't want to disturb them much, so I didn't try to track down the queen -- I'll do that in a couple of weeks when I do the first full inspection.
linkReply