?

Log in

No account? Create an account
update - Doug Ayen's Blacksmithing Blog [entries|archive|friends|userinfo]
Doug Ayen

[ userinfo | livejournal userinfo ]
[ archive | journal archive ]

update [Jan. 29th, 2003|07:01 pm]
Doug Ayen
[mood |busy]

Ok, got the pattern for the sickle made, check. Got the antler off the deer skull, cleaned it up a bit, got it in the stabilizing solution, check. Tried to get the casting furnace operational, and sure enough, either the regulator is busted or the solenoid isn't solenoiding or something. I've got liquid wrench on the connections now, found a couple of big-ass wrenches that may fit the funky-assed fittings that hold that assembly in place.

Current plan is to bypass the solenoid and original regulator entirely, as neither is useful in the equipment's current configuration. If I ever permanently mount the furnace somewhere to a plumbed-in gas supply, I'll go ahead and fix those back up, but with a propane bottle setup they just aren't necessary. Since this thing is designed for a school setting, you can imagine how many safeties it has -- four that I've found so far, plus whatever is keeping it from working now.

So, tomorrow, I'll dive into the bowels of the furnace again, see if I can get it working right. Assuming I get that going, I should be able to get a couple of patterns rammed up, keeping on schedule.

--doug
linkReply